Thomas M. Shepherd, Esq.
Managing Partner and Founder
I represent entrepreneurs because they inspire me. They take chances, they provide jobs, they pour their entire lives into the companies they love… I want to protect that.
Before his decade-long career as a corporate attorney, Thomas M. Shepherd spent 6 years as an accountant with an Atlanta-based residential construction company. Tom draws upon this extensive financial training when advising entrepreneurs and privately-held businesses. As a business, employment and corporate Attorney, Tom advises clients on corporate structuring, business contracts, litigation avoidance, sale of business, employment law and intellectual property protection.
The early years of Tom’s career were spent at a prominent business litigation, corporate transactional, and employment law firm located in Buckhead, Georgia. After several years, Tom left to serve as General Counsel for an Atlanta-based, international technology company. In 2009, Tom started Shepherd Law, LLC to provide the same premier legal services to privately held businesses.
Tom grew up in Atlanta, obtaining a Bachelor in Business Administration from Georgia State University’s J. Mack Robinson College of Business. Majoring in Business Management, Tom concentrated his studies on entrepreneurship and small business development. During this time, Tom won several awards, including “Best New Venture” in the Robinson College of Business’s Entrepreneurship New Venture Competition.
Additionally, Tom won the Robinson College of Business’s Strategic Management Capstone Competition, and placed first overall in the B.B.A. program’s graduation exit exam.
Before law school, Tom worked as an accountant for residential development and construction company.
Tom lives with his wife, son and three daughters in the Garden Hills neighborhood located in Buckhead. He is an avid Braves, Falcons and Hawks fan and he and his family are parishioners at Christ the King Church in Buckhead.
- Georgia Superior Courts
- Georgia Courts of Appeal
- Georgia Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- American Bar Association: Business Law
- State Bar of Georgia: Corporate Counsel Section
- State Bar of Georgia: Labor and Employment Section
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Brookhaven Chamber of Commerce
Associations and Positions
- Board Member, Garden Hills Civic Association Board of Directors
- Member, City Club of Buckhead
Recent Speaking Engagements
- “Evolution of a Company: A Roadmap to Success from Start-Up Phase, to Growth Phase, through Maturity Phase,” Brookhaven Chamber of Commerce, May 2016
- “The Essentials of Commercial Leases”, Georgia Institute of Technology, School of Building Construction, April 2016
- “Evolution of a Company: A Roadmap to Success from Start-Up Phase, to Growth Phase, through Maturity Phase,” City Club of Buckhead, January 2016
- “Commercial Contracts in Facilities Management,” International Facilities Management Association Conference, June 2015
- “Litigation Avoidance and Defense for Employers,” Peachtree Business Connections, November 2011
- “Unemployment Benefits Appeals for Employers,” Georgia Department of Labor, June 2011
- “Avoiding the Legal Pitfalls of Starting a New Business,” City Club Consortium, Atlanta Financial Center, June 2010
- “The Essentials of Drafting Contract Boilerplate,” State Bar of Georgia, CLE: Nuts and Bolts of Employment Law, March 2010
- “Choosing the Right Corporate Entity,” State Bar of Georgia, CLE: Nuts and Bolts of Employment Law, March 2009
- “Mass Layoffs and Federal WARN Act Compliance,” The Greater Atlanta Home Builders Association, October 2007